Under certain circumstances, County Treasurers are allowed to issue temporary registration on vehicles. These temporary registrations are different from the temporaries that dealerships issue and have specific requirements. Only one temporary registration may be issued to any vehicle in a 12-month period. Therefore, if any temporary is issued from the Treasurer's Office, once it expires it cannot be extended and a second temporary cannot be issued until one year from the temporary expiration. One more requirement is that the sales tax must be paid before any temporary is issued.
Temporary Length & Circumstances
Treasurers are allowed to sell 30-, 60-, and 90- day temporary registration under the following circumstances:
- Following the purchase of a vehicle. The temporary would expire 30, 60, or 90 days from the date of purchase. The purchaser must provide a copy of a properly executed title indicating proof of seller having ownership, a notarized bill of sale, and proof of insurance.
- Temporaries cost $5.00 plus a portion of the annual registration fees, as follows:
- 30 day: 10% of annual fee
- 60 day: 20% of annual fee
- 90 day: 30% of annual fee
- If Wyoming license plates are issued after the purchase of a temporary registration, they will expire a year from the temporary expiration date. For example, if you purchase a vehicle on April 15th and buy a 30 day temporary, the temporary will expire on May 15th. When you then purchase regular license plates, the plates will expire the following May instead of April.
- A non-resident who is working in the State temporarily may obtain a temporary registration sticker for $50 per 30 days, up to 120 days may be purchased at one time. The sticker is good for up to 120 days from the date of purchase. In order to qualify for this sticker, the applicant must have a valid registration in a personal name from another state and proof of insurance.
- An in-transit permit may be purchased for $20 by an out-of-state resident who has obtained a vehicle from any person, other than a licensed Wyoming vehicle dealer. The one-time permit is good for 48 hours from the time of purchase.
Residents with current or expired Wyoming plates cannot obtain a temporary for their vehicles.
Regular Plate Expiration
If regular Wyoming license plates are obtained after the purchase of a temporary registration, they will expire a year from the temporary expiration date instead of the purchase date. For example, if you purchase a vehicle on April 15 and get a 30-day temporary, the temporary would expire on May 15. When you purchase regular license plates, the plates will expire in May instead of April.